An EarthX and Keep America Beautiful Conversation:
How We Can Help Consumers #BeRecycled and #BuyRecycled
Briscoe Carpenter Livestock Center at Fair Park
Environmental, recycling and community stakeholders come together for a series of conversations about ways business, government, NGOs and others can help consumers #BeRecycled and #BuyRecycled the day prior to the start of EarthX in Dallas.
Agenda (DRAFT AS OF MARCH 19, 2018; * denotes confirmed)
8:00am – 8:45 am: Breakfast
8:45 TO 9:05 EARTH & SOUL a Musical Presented by Kids Who Care (Fort Worth)
9:05 am: Welcome Remarks — Trammell Crow*
9:15am – 10:00am: Opening Keynote — Helen Lowman, President and CEO, Keep America Beautiful*
- 30-mins with 15-mins. Q&A
10:00am – 11:00am: Panel Discussion — Educating & Motivating Consumers
- 45-mins with 15-mins. Q&A
Representatives from major consumer brands/organizations speak about the steps their respective companies are taking to make recycling easier for their consumers and to incorporate recycling into their products, services, packaging and overall business.
Valerie Salinas-Davis, CEO, EnviroMedia
- Jason Grissom, Manager, Gov,t. Affiars & Sustainbility, Dr Pepper Snapple Group*
- Julie Weinstein, Zero Waste Director, US., Vegware Packaging, Inc.*
- Danny Zagotta, Manager - Energy & Sustainability, Cinemark Theaters
11:00am – 11:15am: BREAK
11:15 – 12:15pm: Inside the Mind of a MRF Operator -- How Companies Can Help Consumers Be Better Recyclers
45-mins with 15-mins Q&A
Representatives from national and local Materials Recovery Facilities (MRFs) discuss ways in which consumer brand and service organizations, government entities, NGOs and others can help improve the recycling process by educating consumers. Panelists will bring attendees “inside” a day in the life of their facility and talk about how corporate practices and consumer behavior impact the goal of creating more robust end markets for recycled content.
Mike Rosen, Chief Marketing Officer, Keep America Beautiful*
- Heather Douglas, Program Manager Balcones Recycling*
- Robert Medigovich,Municipal Accounts Manager, Community Waste Disposal (CWD)*
- Duane McDonald , Division Manager - North Texas Recycling Comple
12:15pm – 1:15pm: LUNCH
1:15pm – 2:15pm: Panel Discussion - The State of Recycling in Texas
45-mins with 15-mins Q&A
Panelists representing various sectors of the Texas recycling landscape – a local electronics recycler, DFW Airport, government official and Keep America Beautiful affiliate — discuss the challenges and opportunities present in the region and share case studies on effective programs to improve recycling awareness and education.
- Sara Nichols, Keep Texas Beautiful*
- Tommy McGuire, Echo Environmental*
- Robert Smouse, Assistant Director, Solid Waste at City of Fort Worth
- Kelly High, Director, Dept. of Sanitation, City of Dallas*
- Paige Swiney, Executive Director, Keep Mesquite Beautiful
2:15pm – 2:30pm: BREAK
3:00pm – 4:00pm: Panel Discussion – Recycling Innovation
- 45-mins with 15-mins Q&A
Panelists representing entrepreneurial, idea-driven businesses working to advance the circular economy will share case studies and ideas about creating new products and services from recycled and formerly unrecyclable materials.
- Maia Corbitt, Director of Governmental Affairs, Booth, Ahrens, & Werkenthin P.C.*
- Chris Ripley, Smarter Sorting*
- Rick Shipley, Organix Recycling*
- Elisabeth Comere, Director of Environment for US/CAN, Tetra-Pak*
- Tom Waldeck, President and CEO, Keep Phoenix Beautiful*
4:00pm – 4:15pm: CLOSING REMARKS / LESSONS TO TAKE HOME
- HELEN LOWMAN, Keep America Beautiful AND LANNY SHIVERS, EarthX Inc.
4:15pm – 5:45pm: RECEPTION